MONTGOMERY WARD DEPARTMENT STORE
This photo (right) shows Whitcomb & Cannon Grocery store, which was replaced by Montgomery Ward Department Store in 1938.
The architecture of this building is Colonial Revival and a mansard roof was added in 1948. As evidenced by the above photo, the building replaced the last concentration of wood buildings on Main Street and was the last major commercial building erected on Main Street prior to the urban renewal projects in the 1960s.
The Sterns Department Store was located here for over 30 years. In the early 1990s the building became the Waterville Regional Arts & Community Center, when Colby College spear-headed an effort to save and revitalize the building.
The upper floors house the City Council chambers and several business offices. The front of the building houses Maine Made and More retail shop and offices. Also on the ground floor are WABI TV, REM, and meeting rooms. In the late 1990s a glassed-in skywalk was added to the second floor to connect the building with City Hall and the Opera House.